All member of Eastwood Community Church agree to the following covenant. It is a great glimpse into what it means to join with us here at Eastwood Community.
The church covenant is equal parts promise, summary of expectations, ethical statement, and biblical standard. These promises shall serve as our guiding commitments as a church for our joy and God’s glory. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I joyfully and thoughtfully wish to apply for membership and join in mutual fellowship, for edification, encouragement, and accountability with the other members of this body. I will, by God’s grace, seek to exhibit the following:
1. I will faithfully participate with this church in weekly worship, prayer, fellowship, and in the
observances of the ordinances of baptism and communion. As well, I will make it a priority, with all due diligence to seek to attend our regular family life meetings throughout the year. (1 Corinthians 11:23-28; Hebrews 10:23-25)
2. I am committed to the statement of faith and will work toward doctrinal unity with a humble and
teachable spirit. Where there is disagreement or a lack of understanding in doctrinal convictions, I assume the responsibility to ask questions and engage in edifying discussion for clarity and mutual love. (John 13:34-35; Ephesians 4:1-3, 32; 1 Peter 1:22)
3. I will submit to the Word of God (the Bible) as my ultimate authority and qualifier in life and
ministry. Man’s thoughts and opinions are secondary to the foundation of scripture. (2 Timothy 3:14-17; Psalm 19)
4. I will pursue peace with all people, especially with other believers, always being slow to take offense and eager to find reconciliation, while shunning gossip and divisiveness. (Proverbs 6:16-19; Ephesians 4:29-31; 2 Timothy 2:24)
5. I will lovingly fellowship with and watch over other members in the church as they also watch over me. I will remember them in prayer, help them in sickness and distress, promote their spiritual
growth, encourage them to turn from sin, and stir them to love and good deeds. I will seek to do
this showing no partiality based on ethnicity, gender, background, social status, or education.
(Matthew 7:1-5; Romans 12:15; Colossians 3:13; 1 Thessalonians 5:11; James 2:1-13)
6. I will seek to live a life above reproach. I will be just and honest in my dealings and faithful in my responsibilities and commitments to this body and in the community. (Matthew 5:37; Philippians 2:14-15; James 5:12; 1 John 2:5)
7. I will cheerfully and regularly contribute to this church from the resources God has given for its general ministry and expenses, the care of widows, orphans, and others in need, and the spread of the Gospel throughout the world. (2 Corinthians 9:7; Galatians 6:10; James 1:27; 1 John 3:17-18)
8. I will submit to the church leadership as men who will give an account. I also submit to the
church’s care and lovingly assume my responsibility to participate in the care of other members, as taught in scripture, if the need should ever arise. (Colossians 3:16-17; 1 Thessalonians 5:14; Hebrews 13:7)
9. Should the need arise to move from this body, I will consult with the elders in advance for the
purpose of prayer, counsel, and closure and, if possible, unite with another like–minded church
where I can carry out the spirit of this covenant until we are all united in heaven as we eagerly await the return of our blessed Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (Hebrews 10:23-25)
In summary, I will love the Lord my God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and I will love others as Christ loves me, all being done for the glory of God, the good of this church, and a
powerful witness to a watching world.